Top 5 Things to Do in South Carolina
While on assignment in the "Palmetto State," make your stay unforgettable!
1. Take time out to visit Columbia Museum of Arts in downtown Columbia. The museum's collection includes masterpieces of the Italian Renaissance through the 18th century, a large collection of European and American furniture and decorative arts, as well as modern and contemporary art, art glass and 20th-century design.
2. Travel back in time to the Civil War era at Fort Sumter, where the first engagement of the Civil War took place. At the Fort Sumter Visitor’s Education Center exhibits tell the story of growing sectionalism and strife between the North and the South, and how these problems ultimately erupted into civil war at Fort Sumter.
3. If beaches are on your mind, take a relaxing break on one of South Carolina’s stunning beaches. Myrtle Beach and the Grand Strand are great spots for a family vacation. They feature incredible seafood, historic tours, unique shops, cruises, fishing and Brookgreen Gardens, home to the world's largest collection of American sculpture.
4. Release the child in you and take the kids for a fun-packed day out at Carowinds; a 108-acre theme and water park that straddles the North Carolina/South Carolina state line. Get wet in the 16-acre Boomerang Bay water park or enjoy thrilling rides on more than 12 roller coasters.
5. Get in touch with nature at the Riverbanks Zoo & Botanical Garden. More than 2,000 animals are housed in natural habitat exhibits. At the 70-acre Botanical Garden, you can explore both native and exotic plant exhibits.